Color Craze!!! Be Color Crazy…..
Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana
Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana
Colors are the phenomena of visual insight. You cannot hear, taste or feel the color, the only way to recognize the color is to see it. A color is a means of nonverbal communication and says a lot more than you can ever imagine. Color is a fundamental consideration in the design process. Color can also have an effect on the way you look in the clothing you wear. It is often the first element that is noticed about a design and influences how the garment or collection is perceived. Color is often the starting point of the design process. Color is something which makes the object more appealing, attractive and gives the pleasure of observation.
Our fashion color choices say a lot about the image we are trying to portray and how we feel about ourselves. Gender and personality are the most common factors for determining the type of colors a person will wear. Males are typically dressed in dark colors such as blue, black, green, gray, red, and brown. These colors are usually worn in various shades but they still consist of these primary hues. Females typically wear lighter colors such as pink, yellow, cyan, lime green, orange, and peach. Women and girls also wear the darker colors that are normally associated with men but men normally do not wear lighter colors associated with women. Color also has an impact on your apparent shape, personality and emotions.
|Selecting best color for dress|
Red have positive properties like strength, warmth, energy, excitement and its negatives are demanding, aggression, strain. Blue have positive properties like trust, coolness, calm and its negatives are coldness, reserve, lack of emotion. Yellow have positive properties like optimism, confidence, self-esteem, emotional strength and its negatives irrationality, depression, anxiety. Green have positive properties like harmony, balance, refreshment, environmental awareness, peace symmetry and its negatives are boredom, heavy. Violet have positive properties like spiritual awareness, vision, truth, quality and its negatives are introversion, decadent, and inferior. Pink have positive properties like physical, nurture, love and its negatives are inhibition, physical weakness. Grey have positive properties like neutral and negatives lack of confidence, depression, lack of energy. Black have positive properties like sophisticated, glamour, secure, emotional safety and its negatives are domination, coldness, heavy. White has positive properties like hygiene, clarity, purity, cleanness and its negatives are coldness, barriers, and unfriendliness. Brown have positive properties like serious, warmth, nature, earthiness, reliable, support and its negatives are humorless, heavy, lack of sophistication.
The colors play an important role and one should think before adding the colors. Once the desired effect is achieved half the job is done! Contrast colors in clothes look stunning and catches the attention in its own way and tones of the same color also adds a lot of smartness. A garment’s message can be completely altered by the color.
Simply wear the same color / shades of the same color (that is, a suit/top and bottom) from head to toe. Create interest by wearing different textures .You could also choose a shirt in a brighter/lighter shade. Now you’ve created a vertical Line-slimming. This will also emphasize your face.
If you want to look taller then you should wear a light color from head to toe. You will also look taller when you repeat the same color tones in top and bottom. For example medium colored top and bottom. You can minimize your upper torso if you wear a darker top and lighter bottom. You can appear shorter/heavier when you wear a different color in your skirt/slacks/trousers, hose/socks and shoes.
How to Choose Best Clothing Colors
Everybody has a favorite color, but your favorite may not be the best one for your wardrobe. Everyone has a unique group of colors that make them look their best and another that makes them look their worst. Coordinating the right colors together makes the difference between a stunning outfit and an ugly.
Finding your color profile
It is important to determine your skin's undertone with the help of above guide. You will want to mostly stick to colours that match your undertone. While there are many different skin tones, there are only two undertones: warm and cool. Warm skin has a yellow or orange tint, while cool skin has a blue or pale pink one. There are two main ways to figure out which category applies to you.
- Vein test: Look at the veins on your wrist or palm. People with warm undertones have Green-looking veins, while people with cool undertones have veins that are blue or purple.
- Jewellery test: Under natural light, wear a silver bracelet on one wrist and a gold one on the other. Look at each hand and figure out which enhances your complexion better. If it's gold, your undertones are warm. If silver looks best, your undertones are cool.
- Keep your skin's shade in mind: In addition to your undertones, your main skin tone can also determine which color families look best. A good rule of thumb is that colors that create a contrast in brightness with your skin are more flattering. If your skin is dark, saturated oranges and yellows almost always look great, even if your undertone is cool.
- Wear tops and scarves that bring out the color in your eyes: If you want to make your eyes "pop," make sure a flattering color is near them. You will want to pick either a color that matches your eyes closely or one that produces the greatest contrast. For example deep red brings out the richness of brown eyes and serve as a stunning complement to pale eyes.
- Look at your face next to each object: Do this under bright natural bright with a hand mirror. Try to decide which color makes you look your best. The right color will make your eyes look brighter and your skin healthier. Neutrals that make your skin look ruddy or sallow should be avoided. If you have trouble choosing, ask a fashionable friend for their opinion.
- Keep in mind what you want to convey with your colors: Earth tones and light, unsaturated warm colors can make you look friendly and approachable. Bright reds are attention grabbers. Dark, monochromatic colors can make you look stern or powerful. Wear muted or pale colors if you want to be noticed less. Bright, bold colors, especially purple, may make you seem more creative.
Spring colors are clear and bright, just like the colors of a spring day. The colors of this season are truly like a spring bouquet of flowers: red-orange and coral tulips, bright yellow jonquils and daffodils. The colors of summer are muted with blue undertones. Baby blue, slate blue, periwinkle, powder pink, sea foam green and slate grey are typical summer colors. Autumn colors are perennially popular, because they bring a feeling of warmth and security. These colors are as golden-hued as a fall day, and typical colors from the palette include colors like pumpkin, mustard yellow, burnt orange, brown, camel, beige, avocado green, rust and teal. The colors from winter season are clear and icy, like a winter's day; always with subtle blue undertones, to name a few: holly berry red, emerald and evergreen, royal blue, magenta and violet.
So our fashion color choices tell the world a lot about us. Knowing how to use color to your advantage can change the way you dress and boost your self confidence.