The Fundamentals of Apparel Production
M.A.(SOCIOLOGY ), M.L.M.(Labour Management), Pursuing MBA(EXECUTIVE) in (FASHION-TECH), MISTE.,
The apparel production business has long been out of the hand – needle or foot – power stage. It has been an “engineered” industry in present time. The properties and characteristics of the following three physical elements which are present in every apparel production process:
- The raw materials being processed – Materials
- The processing equipment – Machines
- The man executing the process – Men.
- Which were made from fabric (or)
- Which are produced largely with sewing machines
- Basic types of Apparel production processes.
The following three major types of production phases of apparel (allied) manufacturing.1. Cutting: Serving the raw material into shapes for assembly and or finishing sewing and or pressing operation.
The exact combination of production steps is determined by the following items.
- Product style
- Raw materials used
- Available production equipment
- Available production space
- Available labour supply.
The following are only a few of the general production sequence used:
- Cut – sew – press – pack, store, or ship
- Cut – sew – press – sew – pack, store, or ship
- S-C-P-S-C-S- pack, Store, then ship
- S-C-S-P-C-C-P- pack, or store, then ship.
- P-C-S-P-S-P-, etc.
Now-a-days sophisticated sewing and allied machineries are being made to fulfill the requirement of globally oriented apparel manufacturing industries; therefore more productivity expectation to meet the timely requirement of the global oriented buyers will become the latest trend.
India, Bangladesh, China, Indonesia, Vietnam producing more volume of apparel for indigenous / domestic and Export purpose. Mostly, USA, UK countries expecting apparel product from the above mentioned countries.
The development of Apparel production sectors will be yielding better job positions to men and women. Countries economic condition will also be flourished. Foreign exchange gained considerably and the under developed countries wealth rate also be increased tremendously.
In apparel manufacturing industry, sewing machines are being used for joining the fabric parts which is supplied from the cutting section. Various types of stitching are done in sewing production plant by the unique help of sewing needle and also different accessories are sewing by this machine.
The most and important sewing machines are used in Apparel manufacturing industry are mentioned as follows.
- Lock stitch / Plain / Regular sewing machine: This machine is basically used to stitch / sew all types of garments.
- Twin needle lock stitch machine: Normally used for decorative stitching / seaming purpose. Suitable for woven fabric.
- Chain stitch machine: Used to stitch as well as woven and knitted garments.
- Double chain stitch machine: Used stitch as well as woven and knitted garments.
- Over lock machine (3- Thread): Used for knit and woven fabric sewing. Normally used in side seam, armhole, sleeve portion to prevent raw edges of fabric.
- Safety Stitch over lock machine (5 – Thread): This m/c is used for knit and woven fabric for sewing a plain seam with over lock application on side seam, arm hole portion.
- Flat lock machine: Used for covering chain stitch. Mostly used for producing knit wear.
- FOA m/c with cylinder Bed: Specially used for the sleeve portion, trousers in seam joining and front risebackrise attaching purpose for pyjamas /Bermuda’s / Boxer shorts.
- Button -hole machine: Used for sewn the button hole in the garment.
- Button sewing machine: Used to sew the button is the garment.
- Bar lock machine: Used in trousers Belt loop joining, pocket corner and zipper fly portion.
- Blind stitch Machine: Is used for bottom ham of the pant, skirt, shorts, and pyjamas.
- Kansai Special Machine: This machine is used for front placket and waist band or ----- sewing purpose. Also this m/c has a ---- needle with 0.5 to 2.5 inch distance and very much used for special attaching purpose with required seam distance.
- Pocket sewer Machine: Specially used for sew pockets of the coats and overcoat with heavy weight fabric.
Clothing plays an important role in recent times. Quality oriented apparel products are always having the marketability. Apparel manufacturers are making their products to meet their customers requirement and as well as the expectations. Though the cut throat competition among the apparel manufacturers are common in present days, but the survival is most important. Many more modern types of machinery are made and introduced for the benefit of the growth of the apparel industries, and manufacturers are highly benefitted.
- Apparel Manufacturing Analysis-Jacob so linger.
- An introduction to garment manufacture-Gerry Cooklin.