List of Different Tests for Apparels in RMG Sector
Md.Tanvirul Haque Bhuiyan
Dept. of Apparel Manufacturing,
National Institute of Textile Engineering & Research (NITER), Savar, Dhaka.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook : Tanvirul Haque Mukut
Testing is the method or process by which checking and verifying of materials occurred. It is the process for evaluating the quality of the objects by accompanying some standard. Testing should be accomplished using some standard test method to compare the test results.
In garment manufacturing, testing means the required quality of the product which can satisfy buyers’ as well as consumers’ needs.
Global quality standards of apparel are technology driven, benchmarked by the buyers and ultimately product oriented. Quality evaluation is not only to ensure a quality product but also to endorse product safety, prevent recalls, minimize customer complaints and promote repeat sales
Apparel testing was first institutionalized by AATCC (American Association for Textile Chemists and Colorists) in 1921.
March 31, 1940 - New York retains the outstanding position as the retail testing ground for fashion merchandise , and at last 85% of apparel and accessories get their initial test of consumer response in local stores.
June 17, 1951 - Installation of complete textile testing laboratory in the Chicago Reliance Manufacturing Company .
April 12, 1955 - A new testing and information center established by New York’s Fashion Institute of Technology aimed at improving techniques in fabricating textiles into apparels.
1973 – Texanlab was founded. It is now one of the largest independent textile testing institutes in Asia.
October 1, 2003 - The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) has created ASTM F739 as a standard test method for measuring permeation resistance.
In June 2000, Bangladesh Bureau Veritas Group (Merchandise Testing Laboratories, Inc. or MTL ) set up the first internationally recognized apparel testing service in Bangladesh .
In January 2002, MTL and ACTS Testing Labs, Inc. combined into one entity .
Some of the source of standard test methods for apparel testing are :
|Standard test methods for apparel testing|
In Bangladesh different renowned and internationally recognized testing services are available, there are also some local services.
Chemical Tests :
- pH value
- Color fastness to chlorine & non-chlorine bleach
- Formaldehyde spot test
- Nickel spot test
- Formaldehyde content
- Color fastness to perspiration
- Color fastness to sea water
- Color fastness to washing
- Color fastness to dry cleaning
- Color fastness to saliva
- Fiber content
- Phenolic yellowing
- Dye transfer to storage
- Color fastness to ozone
- Chlorinated pool water
- Color fastness to water
- Ageing test
- Appearance after storage
- Resistance to ironing
- Zipper strength
- Durability of zipper
- Operability of zipper
- Shearing strength of hooks & loops fastener.
- Peeling strength of hooks & loops fastener.
- Consecutive adhere / separation exercising on hooks & loops fastener
- Unsnapping of snap fasteners
- Security of metallic buttons, rivets etc.
- Security of button snap
- Strength of buttons
- Resistance to wash liquor
- Button tension, torque & impact test
- Small parts attachment
- Zipper and Button toxicity
- Chain cross wise test of zipper
- Slider twist off strength of zipper
- Top stop- zipped
- Button stop
- Element slippage strength
- Open end fastener box test
- Separating unit cross wise strength
- Slider pull off strength,puller attachment strength test
- Slider lock hold strength test of zipper
- Top stop-unzipped
- Element pull off strength
- Closed end test
- Lateral strength of open attachment test
- Dimensional Stability to Washing
- Appearance after Laundering
- Skewing of Fabrics & Garments
- Dimensional Stability to Dry Cleaning
- Appearance after Dry Cleaning
- Dimensional Stability to Ironing
- Dimensional Stability to Free Steam
- Dimensional stability to relaxation
- Dimensional stability to felting
- Measurement of Bow & Skew ness
- Durability wash of garment
- Garments cleansing
- Care Label Verification
- Care label Recommendation
- Washing fastness test
- Perspiration (Acid & Alkaline) fastness test
- Rubbing or Crocking (Dry & Wet) fastness test
- Water fastness test
- Light fastness test
- Organic Solvent fastness test
- Ozone fastness test
- Sea Water fastness test
- Chlorinated Water fastness test
- Dry Cleaning fastness test
- Dry Heat fastness test
- Hot Pressing fastness test
- Alkali Spotting fastness test
- Chlorine Bleaching
- Non-Chlorine Bleaching
- Non-Chlorine Bleaching
- Actual Laundering
- Saliva fastness test
- Phenolic Yellowing
- Effect of Heat test
- Shade Variation
- Acid Spotting
- Water Spotting
- Tensile Strength test
- Single Thread or Yarn Strength
- Seam Performance
- Tear Strength
- Bonding Strength
- Tenacity of Yarn
- Abrasion resistance
- Pilling resistance
- Fabric stiffness
- Water resistance
- Oil repellency
- Soil release
- Bursting strength test
- Air permeability test
- Water vapor permeability
- Wrinkle or Crease recovery
- Stretch & Recovery
- Absorbency of Textiles
- Water Repellency test
- Flammability test
These are the list of standard tests which are common in apparel testing . There are also some other uncommon tests which are done for specific reasons.
One method doesn’t provide all the tests.
- ISO, AATCC standard reference books