Surface Printing | Surface Printing Methods | Printing Block Making

Surface Printing
There are different printing methods to print fabric . Now, I will discuss about surface printing. To print fabric by the method of surface printing, some work are done, such as block making, printing table making, applied color paste on fabric etc.

Block Making
The typical hand block printing had no large, uniform areas of color but was skillfully built up from many small colored areas, because wooden surfaces larger than about 10 mm in width would not give an even print. This had the advantage that a motif such as a flower would have an effect of light and shade obtained from three or four blocks, each printing a different depth of the same color, or a different hue. This obviously meant that a lot of blocks were required, and considerable care was needed in fitting the adjacent parts of the design. If the design had a large repeat there would be a multiplication of the number of blocks because the size of a single block was limited to about 45 cm square and its weight to about 5 kg. Most blocks were much smaller than this, perhaps because many printers were women. 
 
Figure A. Wood blocks with (a) brass strip and pin inserts, (b) a cast type-metal printing
surface (without pitch pins)
Block making required patience and skill. A fairly hard wood was required, such as pear wood, and four or five layers were usually glued together with the grain running in different directions. The design was traced on to the surface and a fine chisel used to cut away the nonprinting areas to a depth of perhaps 1 cm. To obtain more detail from some blocks, strips and pins of copper or (more usually) brass were hammered into the wood. In the 19th century some blocks were made with the printing surface entirely in brass (Figure A), which gave very delicate prints. Another technique used for complex designs was to prepare a mould, use this to cast the image from molten type metal, fasten the casting to the block, and then grind the surface perfectly flat. When large areas of solid colour were required, the areas within metal or wooden outlines were filled with felt, which would absorb and print the paste uniformly. Finally, each block required corner ‘pitch pins’ which printed small dots; these allowed the succeeding blocks to be correctly positioned by accurately locating the pitch pins above the already printed dots.

A less precise form of block printing is practised in the production of, for example, Africa prints, using large plywood blocks with polyurethane foam printing surfaces.

The Printing Table
A very solid table was needed; it was topped with flat slabs of stone or iron covered with a resilient blanket and a sheet of waterproof material. A back-grey of plain cotton was usually stretched over the table, to absorb any surplus colour. Ideally the back-grey would be gummed to the table and the fabric to be printed could be pinned to it, for tight-fitting patterns.

The Printing Process
Color paste must be applied to the block surface in a controlled manner, and this was achieved by using a ‘sieve’. A small tub was nearly filled with a starch paste and a waterproof fabric, stretched on a frame, rested on the paste. A piece of woolen fabric was stretched on a slightly smaller frame and fastened to make the sieve. The sieve was saturated with color paste and placed on the waterproof fabric. For each impression, the ‘tierer’ (a boy) spread the color paste on the top surface of the woolen sieve with a large brush and the printer charged the block by pressing it on the wool. The block was then carefully positioned on the fabric, using the pitch pins as guides, and struck with a mallet. After printing a table length with the first block, the second was printed and then any others required to complete the design. The fabric was then transferred to a few elevated rollers or rods and allowed to dry, while the next table length was printed.

Mechanization
In 1834 a machine that automatically performed all the actions of block printing was invented by Perrot (it became known as the Perrotine), and achieved some success. It was limited to three colors and a maximum repeat of only 15 cm and its operation could not be truly continuous, but the three colors were printed simultaneously. Storey gives an illustrated account of this machine, and of hand block printing.

Much earlier, attempts had been made to obtain continuous surface printing using wooden rollers, but the difficulty of uniform application of the color to the roller was the common problem. In about 1805, however, a rotating woolen fabric ‘sieve’ was introduced in Accrington, and used successfully thereafter (Figure B) . The other essential step was the preparation of a raised pattern on the roller by inserting copper outline strips and felt, just as in hand block printing. This technique was used until recently for printing furnishing fabrics and for wallpaper, but was never as important as the copper roller method. It had the advantages of requiring low pressure and avoiding the color contamination that occurs on engraved roller machines, because no contact was made with previously printed color, but the cost of roller making was high. Wallpaper printers found that inexpensive rollers could be cast from epoxy polymers and the nonprinting areas were easily cut away, but they did not carry enough color to print most fabrics. 
 
Figure B. Surface printing machine with woollen fabric sieve
Essentially the same method has been used for printing polymer film, other packaging materials and transfer paper, but is then usually known as flexographic printing. The design is built up on wooden rollers by the application of rubber moldings and the color is applied by uniformly engraved metering rollers. 
 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Neat post. There is a problem with your site in web
explorer, might test this? IE still is the marketplace chief and a huge component to other folks will miss your excellent writing
because of this problem.
Also visit my web blog newport blue cigarettes

Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely feel this web site needs a lot more attention.
I'll probably be returning to read more, thanks for the info!
my web site :: kent cigarettes online

Anonymous said...

I've read some good stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you place to create this kind of fantastic informative website.
Also see my website: more coupons

Anonymous said...

There's definately a great deal to learn about this issue. I like all the points you have made.
Also visit my website - free iphone

Anonymous said...

Your style is very unique in comparison to other people I have read
stuff from. I appreciate you for posting when
you have the opportunity, Guess I'll just bookmark this web site.
My web-site www.youtube.com

Anonymous said...

This website truly has all the information I needed about this
subject and didn't know who to ask.
Here is my blog post :: skin lightening cream

Anonymous said...

I've been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.
my webpage :: old holborn

Anonymous said...

I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a very easy
on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more
often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
Excellent work!
Here is my site : Koti Alanyasta

Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; many of us have
created some nice procedures and we are looking to swap strategies with
other folks, why not shoot me an e-mail if interested.
Have a look at my blog post :: http://propertyinturkeyforsale.net/

Anonymous said...

I think this is among the most significant information for me.
And i'm glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers
My site : häuser Antalya

Anonymous said...

Attractive component of content. I simply stumbled upon your weblog
and in accession capital to claim that I get actually enjoyed account your
weblog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds
and even I success you get right of entry to consistently rapidly.
Feel free to visit my blog - boligityrkia.net

Anonymous said...

Hello would you mind stating which blog platform you're working with? I'm going
to start my own blog soon but I'm having a tough time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something completely unique.
P.S My apologies for being off-topic but I had
to ask!
my page :: Huoneisto Turkista

Anonymous said...

I do not know whether it's just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering problems with your website. It appears as if some of the text in your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too? This could be a issue with my web browser because I've had this happen previously.
Many thanks
Have a look at my site :: bostaditurkiet.net

Anonymous said...

A motivating discussion is definitely worth comment.
I do believe that you need to write more on this subject, it might
not be a taboo matter but usually folks don't talk about these subjects. To the next! Kind regards!!
Also visit my web page :: immobilien in bodrum

Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger,
and I was wondering your situation; many of us have created
some nice procedures and we are looking to exchange strategies with
other folks, why not shoot me an e-mail if interested.
Feel free to visit my webpage ... samson tobacco

Anonymous said...

Thanks for finally talking about > "Surface Printing | Surface Printing Methods | Printing Block Making" < Loved it!
My homepage ; borkum riff

Anonymous said...

Good day! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've had issues
with hackers and I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.
Also see my web page: captain black

Comment here

Textile Learner is the largest Textile Blog over the net. It is an ultimate reference for textile students. It describes textile articles in comprehensive. It also supplies news on latest textile technology, educational institute news of the world.