Models may be used to display and promote clothing. Fashion modeling may involve catwalk or runway modeling or editorial modeling, covering photography for magazine spreads, ad campaigns, catalogues, print etc. The emphasis of fashion photography is on the clothes or accessories, not the model. Fashion models may be used to display or promote various types of clothing, such as lingerie, swimsuit,bikinis, etc. Other models may be used in showroom,fit modeling, fitness or sporty modeling. Some are used for petite modeling or plus-size modeling.
|Fashion model in run way|
The first person described as a fashion model is believed to be parisian shopgirl, Marie Vernet Worth. She was a house model in 1853, to her fashion designer husband, Charles Frederick Worth.
Female Body Type
Female Body Type
- Main articles: Size zero and Female body shape.
- The British Association of model Agents (AMA) says that female models should be around 34-24-34 in (86-61-86 cm) and at least 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m) tall. The ideal measurements used to be 35.5-23.5-35.5 in (90-60-90 cm) which were the alleged measurements of Marilyn Monroe. However, today's fashion models tend to have measurements closer to the AMA recommended shape, although by no means all models have these exact statistics, and fashion houses may require other sizes for their models.
- The unusually thin shape of fashion models has been criticized for allegedly warping girls' body image and encouraging eating disorders.Organizers of a fashion show in Madrid in September 2006 turned away models who were judged to be underweight by medical personnel who were on hand. In February 2007, six months after her sister, Luisel Ramos - also a model - died, Uruguayan model Elina Ramos became the third international model to die of malnutrition in six months. The second victim was Ana carolina Reston . Luise Ramos died of heart failure caused by anorexia nervosa just after stepping off the catwalk.
- The preferred average dimensions for a male model are a height of 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m) to 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m), a waist of 26–33 in (66.04–83.82 cm) and a chest measurement of 32–40 in (81.28–101.60 cm)
- Supermodels are highly paid, high profile fashion models. These (usually female) celebrities, also known as cover girls, appear on top fashion magazine covers, in catalogues and in fashion shows.
- The first model to pave the way for what would become the supermodel was Lisa Fonssagrives. The relationship between her image on over 200 Vogue covers and her name recognition led to the importance of Vougue in shaping future supermodels. Her image appeared on the cover of every fashion magazine during the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s from Town & Country,Life and Vogue to the original Vanity Fair.
- Model Janice Dickinson has asserted that she was the person for whom the term was coined, as she popped the term herself while talking to her agent at the climax of her career by saying, "I'm not superman, I'm a supermodel" In the 1980s, regulars like Gia Carangi, Carlol Alt,Janice Dickinson, Clindy Crawford, Christie Brinkley, Kim Alexis and Poulina Porizkova began to endorse products with their names as well as their faces, getting in front of everything from Diet Pepsi to Ford Trucks.
- Glamour models posing on the red carpet - Hollywood, CA 03/09/2008
- Main articles: Glammour photography and Pin-up girl
- Glamour photography emphasizes the model and the model's sexuality rather than products, fashion or the environment. Glamour modelling often focuses on the body of the subject and insinuations of sexuality serve to enhance a product's attractiveness. Glamour models may be used for mass-produced calanders, pinup and for men’s magazines, such as Playboy magazine. Famous glamour models include Pamela Anderson, Jordan, Jodie Marsh,Lucy Pinder, Megan Fox etc.